Guideline for Rehiring Former Employees
Scope for these guidelines
These guidelines apply to former employees that separated employment with Dearborn Public Schools on a permanent basis. These guidelines do not refer to any employee who’s on a leave of absence or has retired from the District.
Eligibility for Rehire
Former employees may apply to positions. But, it’ll outline in which cases it can consider this employee for rehire.
To be considered for rehire, former employees should have left the employment with Dearborn Public Schools for the following reason:
- Voluntary resignation
These employees can apply for a position with the Dearborn Public School after a minimum period of  months. This excludes employees whose contracts expired. They can ask for a contract renewal immediately and we may consider them.
- Termination for reasons other than illegal or unethical behavior
- Accepted a job offer but did not show up on their first day
Employees who were terminated for reasons other than illegal or unethical behavior won’t be considered for rehire for a period of  years.
Employees who accepted a job but did not show up on their first day , won’t be considered for rehire for a period of  years. This doesn’t apply if they had serious reasons for not showing up (e.g. medical emergencies).
If there are acceptable reasons* why those employees should be rehired, Executive Director of Staff and Student Service should first approve the decision.
*Acceptable reasons include but are not limited to:
- Reliable proof that employees’ conduct will no longer be problematic. In this case, we do not guarantee rehiring but may consider it.
- Completed their probationary period when hired.
- Ranked “effective” on their end of the year evaluation while employed by Dearborn Public Schools.
What employees are ineligible for rehire?
- Terminated for illegal or unethical behavior
- Signed a release agreement
- Worked as subs in Dearborn but were banned by the HR Department to sub in Dearborn Public Schools
Procedures for Rehiring:
- HR department will review personnel file to decide whether the employee is eligible for rehire.
- All rehired employees are expected to undergo the new hire process.